Major tasks of the GGOS Bureau of Products and Standards (BPS) are:
- The BPS evaluates the geodetic standards and conventions currently in use by all the IAG Services for the generation of geodetic/geophysical products. It reviews official products of IAG with respect to the correct use of standards and conventions.
- The BPS propagates all geodetic standards and conventions to geodetic and general scientific communities and urges their common use. If necessary, the BPS proposes the adoption of new standards and conventions, changes and revisions.
- The BPS propagates most important standards to society in general and promote their use. These outreach activities include the participation at relevant conferences and meetings and submission of papers to journals in neighboring fields.
- The BPS maintains regular contact with all internal and external institutions involved in the adoption of standards, resolutions and conventions. It thereby takes advantage of representations in IAG Services, IAG Commissions, IUGG and IAU, as well as in other bodies involved in standards and conventions (e.g., BIPM, ISO, CODATA).
- The Bureau is in charge with administrative tasks, communications, data base and web support. For these tasks a close cooperation with the GGOS Coordination Office and Portal is established.
- For specific issues dealing with particular fields of geodesy the BPS may set up dedicated Working Groups. Regional or national members may be included in such Working Groups.
- The BPS reports regularly to the GGOS Steering Committee and to the IAG Executive Committee, and – if necessary or appropriate – to the IUGG Executive Committee.