The main objectives of Focus Area Geodetic Space Weather Research can be formulated as
- Improvement of positioning and navigation by developing high-precision and high-resolution models of the electron density,
- Improvement of orbit determination (satellites and space debris) by developing high-precision and high-resolution thermospheric drag models.
- We understand these objectives with respect to both fundamental research and practical applications
- Due to fundamental research the running time of Focus Area 4 has to be fixed to a much longer time span than the IAG period of four years
- Results, models and applications, in particular the developed ionosphere and thermosphere models are GGOS products